You don’t wake up and INNOVATE!
Right now, I’m wrangling my thesis paper for it’s final iteration, but I took a few minutes to reflect (and procrastinate) on chasing dreams, achieving greatness and innovation.
Yesterday, I had a discussion with a fellow Parsons DT student and we came to a similar conclusion to the idea of “saving the world via design” and the idea behind statements like “go innovate” or “is it innovative enough?”
Singlehandedly, I cannot save the world with design and as an artist, I don’t think I want to either. I do want to passionately experiment and make objects that will exist in the world after I am gone. I tend towards design and art that play with ideas, but are aesthetic and intellectual pursuits rather than a tool to bring drinking water to drought stricken lands.
I think that I am still contributing to the world. If something innovative comes from my tinkering, then so be it. I don’t prescribe to a notion that greatness is a given after years of working. I do strive for greatness in my field nonetheless. If I get it, it’ll be by making pixels do the wrong thing, finding ways to hack electricity and writing about it.
I was pleased to find a comic that showed my beliefs in such a thoughtful way, from a scientist to a creative technologist/artist/designer/nerd like me.
- Share this:
Laura Simpson is an interaction designer and video installation artist based in New York. When not editing video or programming with arduino, she enjoys baking and gaming.
What I usually talk about.
- My Thesis, Cinderella's Illuminated Gown, is published in ACM Interactions Magazine! It's in the Demo Hour section for Mar/Apr 2013. 1 month ago
- Nice to see new features after my hiatus. 2 months ago
- Discovered that I either got on twitter really early, or that I've not been following everyone that I've meant to. #goodmorning 2 months ago
- Drill Team in Business Suits. Yes. #MacysParade 6 months ago
- Donatello is clearly the best turtle. #MacysParade 6 months ago
- Father Ryan Marching Band... Or Judge Dredd Marching Band? What's up futuristic authoritarian styling? #MacysParade 6 months ago
- Isn't "American Pie" a bit weird for Thanksgiving? #MacysParade 6 months ago
- "Everyone is lipsyncing.... for their life." @DevP to @Lexarella #MacysParade #RuPaulDrage Race 6 months ago
- I'm loving the colorful dresses from the Delfines marching band from Mexico. #MacysParade 6 months ago
- Somehow the Cheer for America( to whatever) cheerleaders where marching with Jimmy Fallon & The Roots. Macy's Magic? #MacysParade 6 months ago